Vital Proteins is an emerging, dynamic brand consisting of a team of passionate individuals who believe whole-food-based nutrition is essential for overall health, fitness and well-being. Our team is comprised of intelligent and innovative talent who work collaboratively to ensure creativity, success, and global growth. At Vital Proteins, our mission is to empower our company, team, and customers to live a full, vibrant life. We seek to develop and support the right people, with the right chemistry, who continually ask questions, and in turn will develop and tactically execute good ideas. We are looking for individuals to help us think smarter and put a lot of ideas on the table in a short amount of time. Building a great company is our goal. Quality individuals and getting the team right is our business plan.
The HR Manager will lead the ‘people’ function for the Franklin Park plant and serve as a business partner and trusted HR advisor for management and employees. You will directly manage the HR Generalist and be responsible for recruiting, payroll, employee relations, policy creation/administration, communication, risk, compliance and more. You must have a deep and broad understanding of all HR competencies and be comfortable creating and implementing processes and structure within a fast-paced, growing company. In this role you will be the culture champion, enriching the employee experience through fun, innovative and exciting programs! You will report to the Vice President of HR and work out of the Franklin Park plant, with training in the West Loop corporate headquarters for approximately one month.
What you will be responsible for
- Leadership of people operations at the plant, including managing the HR Generalist.
- Partner with HR Generalist to provide world-class support and together be the experts in all policies and programs including but not limited to benefits, safety, time off, etc.
- Attract world-class employees through innovative and effective recruiting strategies that are aligned with corporate office HR strategy.
- Oversee full-life cycle recruiting including the creation/maintenance of job descriptions, job postings, interview guides, requisition and offer approval forms, background/reference checks and oversight of the ATS for the plant.
- Effectively manage staffing agencies, ensuring highest quality candidates are in place.
- Ensure onboarding and offboarding processes in place for all employees (i.e. entry/exit interviews, benefits orientations, etc.)
- Conduct weekly people planning meetings with management to update/align on staffing.
- Provide weekly reporting for the VP of HR on staffing, turnover, etc.
- Partner with VP of HR to recommend and implement programs/initiatives to keep workforce engaged including recognition, career pathing, etc.
- Conduct compensation benchmarking and salary analysis as needed.
- Oversee/audit Payroll and Time-Off processes and serve as back-up for HR Generalist.
- Lead the creation and implementation of the Employee Handbook and other policies in alignment with corporate values and operational needs.
- Lead HR communication/training including emails, newsletters, lunch and learns, etc.
- Manage employee relations matters by providing effective coaching and counseling.
- Partner with Management to ensure best safety practices are in place.
- Ensure compliance with labor law posters, OSHA, etc.
- Maintain proper HR documentation with a focus on risk and compliance alignment.
Who you are
- 8-10 years of previous HR Manager experience in a fast-growing food processing facility
- 3+ years of previous management experience leading people
- Bachelor’s degree in HR management or related field; advanced HR certification a plus
- Superior knowledge of all HR competencies with a desire for continuous learning
- Ability to have fun and thrive in a fast-paced changing environment!
- Ability to effectively coach, guide and provide training on a variety of HR topics
- Effectively develop and maintain strong relationships with leadership while challenging the status quo, striving to ensure the best people practices are in place
- You possess a high level of accountability and ability to execute tactical projects and recommend and plan strategy
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation); and comfortable interacting with all levels of employees
- Organized self-starter with strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize work
- Knowledge of OSHA laws and safety best practices
- Ability to read, write and understand English
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially and with discretion
- Superior technical/computer skills including Excel, Word, Powerpoint; familiarity with Google Suite a plus
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit with a passion for health and wellness!