Vital Proteins is an emerging, dynamic brand consisting of a team of passionate individuals who believe whole-food-based nutrition is essential for overall health, fitness and wellbeing. Our team is comprised of intelligent and innovative talent who work collaboratively to ensure creativity, success, and global growth. At Vital Proteins, our mission is to empower our company, team, and customers to live a full, vibrant life. We seek to develop and support the right people, with the right chemistry, who continually ask questions, and in turn will develop and tactically execute good ideas. We are looking for individuals to help us think smarter and put a lot of ideas on the table in a short amount of time. Building a great company is our goal. Quality individuals and getting the team right is our business plan.
The Strategic Sourcing Category Manager – Contract Manufacturing is responsible for leading the strategic sourcing, procurement and category management of Vital Proteins’ co-manufacturing, tolling and co-packing services. This role will spend significant amount of time with business unit partners to understand future and current needs for co-manufacturing, tolling and co-packing. This role will determine the contract manufacturing strategy and design strategic procurement solutions to cover our external manufacturing needs. The role will need to work very closely with innovation project management, production, quality, procurement teams and other cross functional stakeholders. In addition, this role will own and manage the strategic relationships with our co-manufacturing, tolling and co-packing partners. Reporting to the Director of Strategic Sourcing and Procurement, this role will be located in our corporate office in Fulton Market but on occasion travel to our warehouse and production facility in Franklin Park.
What you will be responsible for
- Responsible of working with the innovation team starting as early as ideation phase to understand contract manufacturing, tolling and contract packaging needs for new product lines.
- Responsible for establishing sourcing strategies, coordinating RFPs and selecting new contract manufacturers that can source our finished goods products in line with cost, quality and reliability expectations.
- Act as subject matter expert for contract manufacturing and co-packaging contracts including in-depth knowledge of market capabilities, economic cost drivers, supplier financials and market competition.
- Provide contract manufacturing market options of what is available in US or overseas and lead the design of strategic, long term contract manufacturing solutions.
- Management of supplier relationships for contract manufacturing, tolling and co-packaging across multiple regions and contract packers.
- Negotiate, implement and manage long-term strategic contracts to ensure optimum costs and reliable supply.
- Develop a pipeline of qualified potential contract manufacturers capable of meeting the current and future business requirements of the company.
- Develop and implement procurement processes inclusive of short and long term category strategy development and execution of market RFPs.
- Develop, prioritize and manage cost savings through productivity and continuous improvement initiatives within area of responsibility.
- Benchmark supply alternatives to competitively position best cost solutions.
- Support development of make vs buy models and decisions.
- Assess supplier and platform risks and develop appropriate contingency plans.
- Ensure all contract manufacturing relationships are governed by contracts that align with corporate mandates and support key business requirements while ensuring continuity of supply at the lowest total delivered cost.
- Assemble and analyze large quantities of data and conduct in depth analysis of the data, such as should-cost models, benchmarking, etc.
Who you are
- You have a bachelor's degree in Engineering, Supply Chain, Operations Management. (required)
- You have minimum 7+ years of experience in strategic sourcing and procurement of contract manufacturing in food or food related industry OR have minimum 7+ years of contract manufacturing experience in food or food related industry. (required)
- You have demonstrated strong knowledge of contract manufacturing market in US and overseas, and capabilities of a large network of contract manufacturers in food or food related industry.
- You have demonstrated experience with New Product Development (NPD) projects and contract manufacturing activities expected to support NPD.
- You have demonstrated knowledge and use of 7-step sourcing principles
- You have demonstrated experience working in a diverse, complex and high paced environment with competing demands.
- You have excellent knowledge of vendor sourcing practices (researching, evaluating and liaising with contract manufacturers).
- You have strong analytical skills, with the ability to create financial reports, model out total cost of ownership, and conduct cost analyses.
- You have demonstrated contract and agreement negotiation experience, including development of negotiating plans and strategies.
- You have demonstrated ability to provide sound leadership within the team and the interpersonal skills to build and nurture strong relationships with peers, executives, and external partners.
- You have experience with NetSuite or equivalent ERP system.
- You can travel up to 20% to visit supplier locations, external manufacturing or co-packing sites and warehouses, depending on business needs.
- Attendance or participation in external industry events and/or membership in sourcing, purchasing or contracting organizations such as ISM or IACCM.
- CPSM, C.P.M., C.C.M. and related certifications highly preferred.
- You have the ability to read, write and understand English