Vital Proteins is an emerging, dynamic brand consisting of a team of passionate individuals who believe whole-food-based nutrition is essential for overall health, fitness and wellbeing. Our team is comprised of intelligent and innovative talent who work collaboratively to ensure creativity, success, and global growth. At Vital Proteins, our mission is to empower our company, team, and customers to live a full, vibrant life. We seek to develop and support the right people, with the right chemistry, who continually ask questions, and in turn will develop and tactically execute good ideas. We are looking for individuals to help us think smarter and put a lot of ideas on the table in a short amount of time. Building a great company is our goal. Quality individuals and getting the team right is our business plan.
The Strategic Sourcing Category Manager – Innovation and Packaging is responsible for leading the sourcing of raw materials and packaging required for New Products as part of the innovation process. This role will manage the sourcing and procurement of new raw materials and packaging required during innovation, to deliver cost efficiencies, supply assurance and quality from the beginning of the product’s development all through to commercial market launch. The role will need to work very closely with innovation project management, procurement team and other cross functional stakeholders involved in new product development. In addition to new products, this role will also be responsible to manage sourcing and procurement of all packaging materials required for our existing products. Reporting to the Director of Strategic Sourcing and Procurement, this role will be located in our corporate office in Fulton Market but on occasion travel to our warehouse and production facility in Franklin Park.
What you will be responsible for
- Responsible of working with the innovation team during all stages of new product development process to understand sourcing needs for new products.
- Provide leadership and support for sourcing decisions.
- Responsible for establishing sourcing strategies, coordinating RFPs and selecting new suppliers that can source the new raw materials and packaging in line with cost, quality and reliability expectations.
- Responsible for procurement and purchasing of new raw materials and packaging to support formulation, and line trials.
- Also responsible, for managing sourcing, procurement of all packaging materials for existing products; establishing contracts and maintaining ongoing supplier relationships for all packaging materials used in existing products.
Who you are
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Supply Chain, Operations Management. (required)
- You have minimum 7+ years of experience in strategic sourcing and procurement in food or food related industry (required).
- You have demonstrated experience with New Product Development (NPD) projects and procurement activities expected to support NPD.
- You have demonstrated experience working in a diverse, complex and high paced environment with competing demands.
- You have excellent knowledge of vendor sourcing practices (researching, evaluating and liaising with vendors).
- You have demonstrated knowledge and use of core 7-step sourcing principles.
- You have strong analytical skills, with the ability to create financial reports, model out total cost of ownership, and conduct cost analyses.
- You have demonstrated contract and agreement negotiation experience, including development of negotiating plans and strategies.
- You have demonstrated ability to provide sound leadership within the team and the interpersonal skills to build and nurture strong relationships with peers, executives, and external partners.
- You have experience with NetSuite or equivalent ERP system.
- You can travel up to 20% to visit supplier locations, external manufacturing or co-packing sites and warehouses, depending on business needs.
- Attendance or participation in external industry events and/or membership in sourcing, purchasing or contracting organizations such as ISM or IACCM.
- CPSM, C.P.M., C.C.M. and related certifications highly preferred.
- You have the ability to read, write and understand English.