Vital Proteins is an emerging, dynamic brand consisting of a team of passionate individuals who believe whole-food-based nutrition is essential for overall health, fitness and wellbeing. Our team, where job titles and hierarchy are meaningless, is comprised of intelligent and innovative talent who work collaboratively to ensure creativity, success, and global growth. Vital Proteins seeks to develop and support the right people, with the right chemistry, who continually ask questions, and in turn will develop and tactically execute good ideas. We are looking for individuals to help us think smarter and put a lot of ideas on the table in a short amount of time. Building a great company is our goal. Quality individuals and getting the team right is our business plan.
This role is primarily responsible for executing product development including innovation pipeline, renovation on existing products, as well as commercialization through qualification. The Food Scientist will carry out the company vision and mission through their work, as an integral part of the Vital Proteins team. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Product Development & Commercialization, this role will operate out of Vital Proteins Corporate Headquarters in Chicago, IL with frequent travel (25-40%) to co-manufacturers and our production facility.
What you will be responsible for:
- Identifying and supporting product renovation on existing product lines. Identifying new product opportunities and improvements in line with customer needs and business model
- Provide support to plant trials and full-scale production on any product innovation and renovation project
- Translating product concepts to development of products and related activities that support the formulation and development of new products, line extensions, and quality improvement
- Developing formulations and specifications that meet the appropriate nutritional, regulatory and consumer requirements
- Managing all product change control
- Manage the entire product development lifecycle and commercialization for the first six months
- Identifying and sourcing ingredients from vendors that are in compliance with established quality assurance standards for appropriate and differentiated use in and across the product portfolio
- Work closely with cross-functional partners to ensure all projects meet brand product standards, cost of goods targets, timelines, and customer expectations
- Creating product development schedules that are required to meet project timelines
- Develop qualification plans for new product launches along with manufacturing site, while providing pre-launch through post-launch support, onsite at the manufacturing facility
- Continuously own improvement of our product portfolio from flavor, claims, shelf life, cost perspectives until fully qualified
Who you are:
- Bachelor's degree in Food Science, Food Technology, Chemical Engineering, or related field
- 3-7 years of proven experience in food, beverage, and/or dietary supplements product development
- Able to project manage multiple projects simultaneously with unwavering attention to detail
- Stay calm under pressure and remain focused on the task at hand
- Comfortable in a fast paced quickly growing environment, no two days are the same!
- Must possess leadership (taking initiative, motivating, mentoring), interpersonal skills (relating to others), dedication (taking ownership, meeting deadlines, prioritization), communication (strong written and verbal communications), flexibility and have a positive attitude
- Comfortable in different manufacturing settings.
- Proven ability of working in a team environment and in dispersed teams
- Prior experience is preferred in the CPG or health and wellness space
- You must have the ability to read, write and understand English
Vital Proteins is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer