Vital Proteins is an emerging, dynamic brand consisting of a team of passionate individuals who believe whole-food-based nutrition is essential for overall health, fitness and wellbeing. Our team is comprised of intelligent and innovative talent who work collaboratively to ensure creativity, success, and global growth. At Vital Proteins, our mission is to empower our company, team, and customers to live a full, vibrant life. We seek to develop and support the right people, with the right chemistry, who continually ask questions, and in turn will develop and tactically execute good ideas. We are looking for individuals to help us think smarter and put a lot of ideas on the table in a short amount of time. Building a great company is our goal. Quality individuals and getting the team right is our business plan.
The primary responsibility of this position is to lead and manage the Quality and Food Safety team at our internal manufacturing location. Reporting to the VP of Quality and Food Safety, this role will operate out of our Franklin Park, IL production facility. This role also has quality management and compliance accountability for a few external co-manufacturing locations – primarily leading quality approval, managing non-conformances and releasing product. The expectations of this role are to ensure Q&FS and Dietary Supplement compliance for Vital Proteins products, this is accomplished through leading a high performing team, evaluating risks, and raising the standards quality policies, and practices.
What you will be responsible for:
- Line Management and coaching of the FP1 Q&FS Team, supporting the development of a talent pipeline for Q&FS at site level including co-manufacturer quality.
- Lead Quality Strategy Deployment at the site, improving established ways of working and delivering against key metrics reflected in the company business objectives
- Lead the quality agenda on the site to ensure wholesome products that meet the regulatory requirements
- Lead and support Vital Proteins and external standards (NSF, NSF Sport, SQF etc.) implementation at the site and drive the appropriate Q&FS mindset and behavior
- Lead and support Vital Proteins approval of co-manufacturing sites from a Quality standpoint, improving established ways of working.
- Sustain efficient quality management system, in compliance to NSF, SQF, HACCP and Vital Proteins standards, including CAPA and training programs
- First line of contact for legal authorities and Vital Proteins product related Q&FS requests as the “quality responsible person” for the factory
- Ensure the integration of Q&FS procedures and processes into Factory Daily Vital System (DVS) to drive quality performance
- Perform key metric, incidents and Continuous Improvement reviews to ensure transparency at management level and coordinate site CAPA activities
- Manage quality and food safety incidents at the site level, supporting decision making for out of specification materials and products, ensuring that relevant corrective and preventive actions are defined and implemented
- Accountable for site approval of all product, raw materials, packaging and process specifications, quality food safety risk assessments and change management, using the defined and agreed ways of working
- The role leads key continuous improvement projects / strategies that enable the delivery of Q&FS objectives and performance. The tasks are executed in close collaboration with operations, supply chain, and product development
- The appropriate level of resources, skills and support at site level is ensured via coaching, developing and managing the FP1 Quality Team.
- The role ensures governance of Q&FS performance on site through appropriate Q&FS culture and behavior and has a significant impact via proper incident management on site, including CAPA program
Who you are:
- BS degree in Chemistry, Food Science, Food Safety, Engineering or related technical field
- Advanced Degree in Chemistry, Food Science or related technical field preferred
- 8+ years relevant experience in Dietary Supplement, Food Quality, and/or Manufacturing environment with proven capabilities leading other technical leaders
- 5+ years demonstrated success in relevant manufacturing/quality experience
- 5+ years of proven leadership with line management experience
- Must be able to draw on personal experience and apply your own judgment to reach firm decisions
- A proven track record in coaching and developing teams and individuals
- A proven track record in thriving in a high pace and high change environment
- Prior knowledge and experience with HACCP, GMPs, SQF, NSF/NSF Sport quality and food safety management systems
- Manufacturing environment with experience in line management
- Certified auditor
- Statistics, Problem solving and Lean Six Sigma methods
- Food microbiology, analytical chemistry, and sensory methods
- Process engineering, manufacturing equipment, and controls
- Travel approx. 20%
- You must be able to read, write and understand English
Vital Proteins is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer